Freelance Editor (Remote): Literature Study Guides
Are you an experienced editor with a background in academic writing? A current or former English teacher? Or an advanced degree holder in a literature-related field? If so, this is the perfect freelance editing opportunity for you.
SuperSummary.com is a fast-growing academic study guide website that helps students, teachers, and everyday readers understand a variety of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry texts. Our study guides are authoritative and comprehensive, authored by experienced writers with backgrounds in literature and typically run 10,000-20,000 words in length. They contain several sections, including summary, analysis, quotations, and essay questions.
We’re looking for editors who will be responsible for ensuring the quality of each study guide before it is made available on the site. This is a part-time, remote position that is flexible but will require a commitment of approximately 15-20 hours per week and editing of 3+ study guides per week. We are keenly interested in developing steady, long-term relationships with our editors.
Editors will wear many hats: proofreader, copyeditor, and developmental editor. We expect editors to efficiently and effectively:
- Evaluate the quality of both the writing and the ideas presented.
- Rewrite where necessary to improve clarity, syntax, and flow.
- Demonstrate strong attention to literary analysis by revising areas of the work where analysis is thin or confused.
- Correct spelling, grammar, syntax, and document formatting errors.
- Be capable of providing substantive, instructive feedback to writers if necessary
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Extensive editing experience, especially for academic writing.
- Experience with comprehensive editing of long-form copy.
- Ability to timely complete multiple editing assignments a month
- A background in literature, literary analysis, and/or teaching is a plus.
- Interest in participating in other Content Team projects, such as writer training and market research, is also a plus.
SuperSummary supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, national origin, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.